Friday, June 19, 2009

I don't like you and I don't like your friends

The year was 1975, I had just graduated from college, and got a job with one of the largest conglomerates in Europe, they stationed me in Newcastle, which I was not happy about. Newcastle is on the far tip of England, it was a coal mining town, "taking coals to Newcastle' in English is a way of saying bring something unneeded to a place. The culture is ultra macho, big on drinking, fighting. I was working in a Chemistry lab about 10 miles from the city, in a place called Felling, it was on the River Tyne, a depressing large industrial complex. The labs were full of very qualified chemists, but I was mostly bored with the lack of challenging work. There was a pretty lab assistant Jenni she was 19 or 20 petit and very cute.
We went out one evening on a date and very quickly she let me know, that she was available to play, we went for drinks then back to my place, a room in an old Victorian House in a place called Jesmond, just on the borders of downtown. It is now very upscale, but back them it had a worn grace, and the landlady was something of dragon. She eyed me the first day, asked for all sorts of references, listed rules, the place was spotless. Jenni and I crept up the stairs and went into my room, I don't remember much about the night, but I do remember the next morning I pulled back the covers and there on the sheets was an enormous blood stain, I touched it, it had gone all the way through the mattress, I grimaced. Jenni was annoyed, 'never been with a girl on her period", yes, I said "but the mattress is ruined".... she gave me a real man wouldn't care look got dressed and left. I drove her home she was angry, she never kissed me goodbye, I was in her mind a southern whimp who freaked at period blood, a Newcastle guy in her mind would have been begging for more. I felt half an inch tall, tried to explain it wasn't the period it was my landlady she was going to have a fit. I got home an hour later, the Landlady was waiting for me, "I don't like you, and I don't like your friends", she snarled "you have to leave by the end of the week, that mattress has to be burned, and you will pay for a new one".
I left but I learned a lesson, never if that happened again would I worry about the mattress, I lost my place to stay, but I also lost respect of a woman I liked and that hurt a lot more..

No comments: